Anthony Hunt, WVPE Station Manager,
Spoke to the Club
Ann McCuistion opened the meeting and Howard Edwards provided some inspirational words, led the Pledge and Four-Way Test.
Dave Kline introduced our guests:

Visiting Rotarians included Bill Dwyer, from the Altoona, PA Sunrise Club.
Guests included (and their hosts): Nice Corpe (Don Stohler), Derek Berger (Sarah Rice), Jessica Burbrink (Jim Welsh), Catherine Wells-Bentz (Anthony Hunt), Charlie Kirk (Jack Cittadine), Lee Shirley (Jim Story), and Sonya Nash (Doug Risser). Welcome to ALL of our guests and thanks to Rotarians for their invitations.
A busy day for important announcements:

Bea Phillips thanked all for their good wishes on the birth of her son, Andrew Joseph “AJ” Phillips, who entered the world at 9 pounds, 2 oz and is doing wonderfully.

Candy Yoder reminded everyone that this Friday and Saturday, volunteers are still needed at CAPS for their district grant received to install a new playground. If you are willing and can help, contact Candy.

Kyle Hannon reported that the Chamber has been renovating their first floor and invites all to an OPEN HOUSE this Thursday from 4-6 pm – stop by!

Pete McCown invited all to Tuesday, October 24’s Public Fundraising Event at the Lerner for lunch at noon. To RSVP visit:

Matt Lentsch announced that Rotary will be ringing bells for the Salvation Army on Saturday, December 9. Pete Norton will again be leading restaurant fundraising the evening before, Friday, December 8. Stay tuned for signup sheets.

Tony Warning gave a report on Costa Rica and the damage sustained to the village in the recent hurricane. Interact has a goal to raise $10k to support aide efforts, to help local residents rebuild their homes and lives. If you can make a donation, please see Tony directly.

Doug Thorne invited new members to a new member orientation immediately following our normal lunch meeting on Monday, November 6.
Sergeant at Arms for the Day, Kyle Hannon, made short work of Notre Dame fans, Ball State football fans, and all those not interested in either. Way to go, Kyle, all good fun to raise some good funds for our community organizations.
Presenter, Anthony Hunt, WVPE Station Manager.

Anthony has been in radio since 1986, including stations in Idaho, Maryland, and of course, Indiana at WVPE for the last 11 years. Anthony discussed the importance of Public Radio, and the timing couldn’t be better; we’re approaching the 50th Anniversary of the Public Broadcasting Act. WVPE has been at the Career Center since its inception in 1972 (that’s 45 years for the mathematically-challenged). The Station and its operation are largely self-funded, with 85% of funding being raised through private funds with the remaining 15% coming from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and the Education Department of the state of Indiana. Over 40 million people a week listen to NPR… more than subscribe to newspapers… you should try it out for yourself if you’re not already a listener or supporter. To learn more about Elkhart’s own WVPE, visit: